Our mission is to mobilize the Church in Pierce County to transform lives and communities In the Name of Christ.
Why mobilize? Our heart is to bring the Body of Christ together to fulfill the service that God has called His church to. We work with a variety of different churches, not matter the denomination. By working with a large pool of churches, we are able to mobilize a wide spectrum of volunteers.
What does transform really mean? Here at Love INC, we are focused on the person we are helping, not just their need. We are willing to enter into relationships which have the potential to change lives. We desire to give them a hand up, not just a hand out. Each life transformed impacts others around them. The more lives touched, the greater the impact it will have on the community.
Of course, we are always in the process of improving our ministry and developing new ways to value each individual. Nothing is perfect, but we believe that with a right heart after God, He will lead us.
Love INC, located in Pierce County, WA works to support Christians in bringing God’s love and care into our communities by mobilizing churches to meet the unmet needs of individuals and families. In doing this we will seek to know God better, to demonstrate the power of Jesus’ love, and to witness to the only source that can make us effective — the love that God has for all people.
- We are Christian. Everything we think, say, and do is in the name of Christ.
- Prayer is an integral part of who we are.
- We follow Christ’s example of valuing the poor and needy.
- We value unity of the Body of Christ.
- We value transformation in the lives of people and communities.
- We value churches living out the two great commandments to love God and love their neighbors.
- We value building Christ-like relationships.
- We value the connectedness of the Love INC movement.
- We model excellence.
- We value continually maturing in our capacity to meet people’s needs.
LOVE INC PIERCE COUNTY HISTORY
Love In the Name of Christ Pierce County exists to unify the Body of Christ, meeting the needs of our neighbors. Since 2002, we have been privileged to serve over 33,000 families in the county, impacting countless more lives. Today, we have 6 staff members, a Clearinghouse, Christian Bookstore, various Gap Ministries, and over 100 local church partners.
In 2000, a group of 11 churches came together, wanting to work together to meet the needs of their community. They were tired of working alone, being overwhelmed by the multitude of the need in Pierce County. The first year and half of Love INC was focused on getting the organization off the ground, struggling the whole way. After much hard work, it looked as if Love INC Pierce County was going to close.
However, in July 2002, things turned around. Sherry Phinisey came on as the new Executive Director, relaunching the dream of those 11 churches. The new office was a 70-year-old mobile home with three desks, one computer, and a fax machine. Building off of a new Clearinghouse manager and various volunteers, the church base grew from 11 churches to over 100 within three years.
What started as a Clearinghouse that received 25 calls a month, we have now taken over 500 calls within a month (averaging around 300). Our first year’s budget was $30,000 dollars, today it takes $230,000 a year to run all of our programs. Take a look at our brief timeline:
- 2002 Love INC relaunches in a mobile home.
- 2004 Offices move to a 970 square foot building, adding 3 more work stations to accommodate an increase in volunteers.
- 2005 Our Furniture Bank opens, providing beds, dressers, and linens to our clients.
- 2006 Staff has grown to 5; We run a Bridges Out of Poverty class for clients.
- 2009 Offices move to Lakewood, adding even more work stations for new volunteers.
- 2010 Love’s Treasury opens, launching our Christian Bookstore, Personal CarePantry, Musical Instrument Bank, and Prom Dress Ministry.
- 2011 Built a custom Client Management System to better serve our neighbors and partnering churches.
- 2012 Restructure: Due to budget cuts and the new automated system, we reduced our staff. The system has allowed us to do more work with less people, better serving Pierce County.
Glory to God! He is the reason we do what we do.